Wednesday, January 3, 2007

When People Post

I read blogs. I actually do read quite a few, especially when I am sitting alone in the Castle Carpet Cleaning office, numbing my brain with inactivity. And I have begun to theorize about why people post when they post.

First of all, I know that many people post when they actually have something to talk about. When things are 'on the brain' so to speak. I also know that many people write when they Think they have something to say. In the words of Tom Banks (possibly misquoted, but definitely close), blogging turns us all into "philosophers...or at least petty aphorists." People definitely like to talk. And what about those other souls that know they have nothing to say? Well, they write anyway. Why?

I think it has to do with something I noticed about my childhood journal. I have always been fond of writing, but as a child I never stuck with anything for very long. My list of unfinished stories is practically endless. And so when I started journaling in the fourth grade, I also didn't keep up with it very much. But from the occasional entries, you would have thought that I was an unhappy, very bored, very tiresome, very prone to losing things sort of child. Reason being that I only wrote when I had absolutely nothing else to do. Usually I had lost my book. Comparing this to my blogging habits, I realized that they are very much the same. My last post was about being braindead. I was about to write another post about being braindead (from sitting in CCC all morning and listening to carpet jokes-*shudder*). I think I tend to write when I am bored or braindead. From a careful consideration of many other bloggers and their posts, I am inclined to think that I am not alone. No, not alone at all.

No comments: