Saturday, May 12, 2007

MRI

Before I went in for my MRI this morning, I did a little bit of research. It's actually pretty cool technology. But basically, you just lay in a big magnet for about half an hour, and try not to move. I had heard from others that it was a bit stifling, and could make you claustrophobic since you are put in a fairly narrow tube. Fortunately for me, since I was only having my knee imaged, I only had to get slid in halfway, and I was out of the tube from my shoulders up.

It's a very interesting sort of thing, to have nothing to do for thirty minutes other than keep absolutely still. They let you listen to some soothing waterfall/bird harp and oboe music, which actually helps, but other than that, there is nothing. Suddenly, every muscle twitch is magnified; you can feel yourself tense up. Relax. If you start worrying about movement too much, your breathing quickens. But don't fall asleep, or you could wake up with a jerk, and the whole point is that you're not supposed to move. The whole thing was made just a little more interesting because of the slight pain in my knee. The only way they can set it up is if your leg is completely straight, which for me right now isn't that comfortable. It felt kind of like forever, but I was actually in the hospital for less than an hour all told, including a couple of x-rays.

Results should be in by the middle of next week. Pray that they will be clear, and allow the doctors to form a good diagnosis, and that treatment will be effective.

2 comments:

thebeloved said...

I heard about this from the parents. Blessings on the pain!

Colleen

Laurel said...

That's right. Why do I even bother telling you news anymore? I'm sure you've always heard it from the parents first... :) oh well.